Wood Posts to Concrete/Concrete to Concrete

Old 06-06-07, 11:08 AM
Wood Posts to Concrete/Concrete to Concrete

I am building a 10'X24' patio cover out of peeled round cedar. It will have (6) 8' cedar posts which are 10" in diameter. Ideally, I want to form above ground concrete blocks for the bases of the posts. I have a couple of questions:

1.) Will the above-ground newly poured cement adhere to the existing concrete slab?
2.) Should I anchor the cedar posts to the existing concrete? If so, what would be the best anchor or fastener for this particular project?

Thanks!

Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 09:01 AM
i would say that you definitly want to secure the new posts to the exsisting concrete, there are a wide variety of anchors out there that will do the job but make sure that you dont get a bolt that is longer then the thickness of your slab if you go through it it wont do a thing, i think 1/2'' thickness anchors would do. To get the newly poured concrete to adhere to the exsisting concrete there are a couple of ways to do it but the way i usually do it if the concrete im pouring over exsisting is not very thick say 4-6 inches I mark where the new slab is going to go and drill and install pins to mechanacally fasten them together, you can use tapcons, concrete anchors, or rebar, leave the top of the pins about 2'' down from the top of the concrete slab. when you pour you new slab around the new posts you might want to protect your wood with either plastic or blueskin or some kind of bond break between the newly poured concrete and your posts. Wood and concrete should never be in full contack with eachother, you can try getting maybe a aluminum guy to make you up a nice flashing that will go around the bottom of the post and the concrete can pour around it

good luck hope i help ya out