Concrete cills

Old 06-11-07, 03:10 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete cills

I am about to paint the outside of my Victorian house. The surrounds of the windows are what appear to be concrete. Their are some cracks that i will have to fill and sand and i was just looking for some advice on what to use and how to go about it. The cracks have been their since i moved in over 5 years ago and have not moved or worsened.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-07, 04:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Votes on 179 Posts
Clean and verify if your sills are really concrete. I once painted a 100 yr old brick house and thought about painting the sills just to make the job look better but upon close inspection I realized they were badly worn marble. While I'm sure paint would stick to worn rough marble it isn't something I'd recomend

Old 06-12-07, 12:50 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete cills

They are definately concrete, and are already painted, be it flaking, also there are gaps where the cills join around a bay window...any advice appreciated.

Old 06-13-07, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 202 Votes on 179 Posts
Scrape and clean them the best you can. Caulk any gaps. You could use mortar but caulking will be easier and should seal better. Painting with latex would be best but if they currently have oil base it may be better to stick with oil.