Question on types of surface retarder

Old 06-11-07, 07:20 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Question on types of surface retarder

Will be pouring a front porch and walkway with a washed aggregate finish and wanted some advice on different types of retarder. Specifically what I should coat the forms with. Euclid Surface retarder "S" seems to be the most recommended for horizontal surfaces but I seem to remember reading somewhere that a different/thicker type was used for form coating so the vertical sides of the porch and step will be able to be washed once the forms are removed. I may be totally mistaken, wouldn't be the first time, so feel free to correct me. Never washed one before but have done plenty of regular finishing and even some stamping before, none of which required manipulating the surface curing time. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-07, 08:27 PM
Question on types of surface retarder

Check out the Euclid line of products, which is very broad. If they do not make it, you may have to resort to a "home made" retarder and a different washing method.

There is also a sheet retarder that is used as for machine made concrete products made in a plant. - Probably hard to find without contacts.

They have been making exposed aggregate trash containers in plants for McDonalds for years, so there must be a product out there. The only problem is that plant made precast is very advanced and different than site cast concrete. - more control over gradation, moisture and vibration, which become important with exposed products.

Dick

Old 06-12-07, 02:53 AM
P
You can coat your forms prior to pouring with the Euclid "S" product. I've done it before. The only possible problem is that sometimes the bleed water seeps under the riser form and carries the retarder onto the step or slab below it, and you get a deeper reveal on the rocks just around the step form.
Another option that works well is to use Abitibi-type lap siding to line the inside of your forms. If you put the back side of it (the brown, masonite side) toward the concrete, the wood sugars leach out of it and act as a surface retarder too. I learned this by accident, but it works well. Make sure the lap siding is the right kind though. The stuff I mean is coated with a white (paint?) on one side and the backside is brown, unfinished, sort of waffled masonite or compressed sawdust. I think Abitibi is the brand name.

Old 06-12-07, 08:57 AM
B
Thanks everyone. I did a little research on the euclid products after I posted and found that type"s" is their brand for horizontal surfaces and they also make a type "f" for vertical surfaces. They describe it as a paint like product on their website. I guess I'll just have to call around to some supply houses to see if they carry it. Thanks for the replies.