glazed concrete veneer

Old 06-18-07, 02:07 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
glazed concrete veneer

I just posted a query about some concrete block steps I plan on attaching to my front porch. i was planning on veneering them with tile suitable for outdoor patios. however, while planning the construction of the steps, i came across something called "glazed concrete masonry units".

the description provided was as follows: "Glazed concrete masonry units are manufactured by bonding a permanent colored facing to a concrete masonry unit, providing a smooth impervious surface."

i've already got my cinder blocks, but what interests me is the "permanent colored facing" part. what i like most about it is the brilliant blue color (it comes in a variety of colors, but i like the blue). is this just another fancy name for tile, or something entirely different?

if it is different, is it cheaper than tile? or even if you have no idea what it is i'm talking about, does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to tile which would be available in differing colors and could be veneered to concrete?

thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-07, 03:41 AM
P
The glazed block is just that...glazed, like pottery. It would be a much better alternative than tile on exterior applications, especially if you're in a freeze/thaw climate. However, I'm sure it's more expensive as well.

Pecos

Old 06-18-07, 05:48 AM
T
It is very expensive, 6-8 bucks per unit, double or triple that for shapes. It is also very slick and not suitable for horizontal applications. The products is glazed at the factory, BTW, it is not something done on site.

Old 06-18-07, 08:22 AM
P
i was afraid of that...
i look at my original budget and laugh.
granted, i'm doing much more than steps, but my underestimation is still funny in a not so funny way...