Concrete foundation for BBQ over existing patio

Old 06-18-07, 10:51 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am building a charcoal-burning barbeque on top of my existing concrete decking. My question is about the foundation for the bbq: how should I ensure that my new structure is fastened securely to the existing patio? I have read through similar threads, and it seems that steel wiring between the old and new foundations is best. Do I drill a hole in the existing patio, insert steel rod, secure with epoxy, then pour new foundation on top of this? Or is there some better way?

We had the concrete decking done about 10 years ago, and I don't remember it being reinforced with rebar. Also I have no idea what the thickness of the decking is. It is not level due to the fact that it slopes toward a drain. Is a reinforced concrete patio sufficiently strong to support a masonry BBQ?

Thanks for any help you can offer me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-07, 12:37 PM

I assume that by "concrete decking" you mean a concrete slab on the ground.

How big and heavy will your grill be?

Without knowing the thickness and reinforcement in the concrete slab, you might end up sawing out the old slab and building a separate foundation for your BBQ if it is heavy. If it is not heavy you might be able to build it on the exosting slab if it is strong enough.

Do not worry much about the BBQ sliding unless you plan to hit it with a truck. Several bolts epoxied in place should suffice if you build on the old.

Dick

Old 06-20-07, 11:47 AM
C
BBQ on existing slab

Dick,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the decking is a concrete patio surrounding our pool. It is not level, though, because it slopes in a mild bowl shape toward a nearby drain. So I was thinking that I would have to put another concrete slab over the existing patio so that the footing for the BBQ is level. If so, does this new slab have to be secured to the older patio slab? (I don't plan on driving any trucks into it )

Every book I've gotten on masonry and building BBQs has them built on the ground. I really don't want to cut into the existing patio unless strictly necessary. It's fairly new and in perfect shape, and also I don't currently have the tools for cutting concrete. I just dug into the adjacent flower bed and found out that the patio is a little more than 6" thick.

Thanks for any advice you have,
Crista