concrete slope question...

Old 06-25-07, 08:55 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I bought my house with a brick paver drive way. I believe that the pavers were placed ontop of the existing concrete driveway. The problem i am having is that there is a step up from the street to the driveway and i have been noticing that a few of the pavers are cracking. I have seen that other people with the same driveway in the neighborhood have a small concrete slope from the street to the pavers. What is the best way to do this without messing up the pavers? Any type of concrete better for this that others? Id like it to be smooth finish.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-07, 06:01 AM
W
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
Apron

The concrete area where the driveway enters the street is called an apron. Our town requires these on new construction and rebuilt driveways.

Decide how far from the street you want the apron to extend and remove the pavers for that section of the driveway and install the apron to make a smooth transition to the pavers. Good luck with your project.

Old 06-26-07, 07:13 AM

If you rebuild the apron, definitely make sure you check the local requirements for construction.

The apron may be on public property/easement, so there could be specific requirements.

Some jurisdictions require reinforced concrete and some may prohibit reinforcement for easy utility access. You could also rebuild with a properly constructed paver section.

Dick

Old 06-26-07, 07:19 AM
S
The slope that i need only needs to be a few inches long. I have seen others in the neighborhood that have already done it. With what i am refering to i dont know how you would even be able to reinforce it. I basically just need something that the tires will touch before pavers.