Asphalt to concrete expansion joint

Old 07-02-07, 08:51 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Asphalt to concrete expansion joint

I have an asphalt driveway that meets up with a concrete garage floor. There is a gap ranging form 1/2" to 3/4"+ between the two materials. I want to fill the gap to minimize water ingress. Someone suggested using silicone made for asphalt. I tried it but was very difficult to work with and the job was less that satisfactory. It dries so fats and seems impossible to tool. Should I have filled the gap with some sort of solid patch leaving a smaller gap for the silicone? Someone told me that the solid material will just crack and to just use the silicone. Is there a better product than the silicone? The silicone seems to be a good idea but the larger gaps are a concern. Help...

Jeff

Old 07-02-07, 07:18 PM
Fill the crack with asphalt patch, the asphalt should run right up to the concrete.

Old 07-03-07, 08:21 AM
J
concrete expansion joint

Thanks for the response.

The gap is fairly small. Should I use tamp patch or smooth trowel patch? I don't think the tamp type patch would fit too well in the smaller gap. I am afraid that by using a solid material that it will crack again, especially if the material (such as smooth trowel patch) bonds somewhat to the concrete edge. Also, don't I need some type of expansion joint or space?

Any additional thoughts?

Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: