Removing window and installing patio door - brick exterior wall

Old 07-02-07, 12:58 PM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing window and installing patio door - brick exterior wall

I read this thread: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=307680 and I realize my situation is the opposite:

I have a 40" window that I would like to remove and install a 72" sliding glass door (previous water damage, rotten studs, long story!).

The house is 2 stories, but only the 1st story is brick veneer.

Similar to what was mentioned in the other post, I'm planning on removing the window, and re-framing the opening for the door (moving electrical, and all that good stuff).

As far as the outside wall, I'm guessing that I will need to remove the brick and "cut" the opening for the door.

What I'm not sure of is the "lintel," or how to handle the brick that is above the window. Somebody suggested that I will have to remove all of the brick and trim the area above and around the door in wood (or other type of material.....aluminum or vinyl).

Is that the case? Is there a standard size for trim on the sides? 3", 4", 6" or something else? Will it look funny if the entire area above the door is different from the rest of the brick?

The rest of the brick is in pretty bad shape - spalding due to poor firing - common problem in my area. We would just go ahead and install siding over the brick, but that is not in the budget at this time.

Also, does anybody have any ballpark estimates on what a contractor would charge for this job? I believe the framing, cutting, electrical, and door installation are all within my skillset (and of those that will help me), but I'm less sure of my abilities when it comes to trimming and making it look good!

Old 11-06-07, 11:47 AM
Q
any ideas?

I finally have the door installed. Nothing permanent yet, but it is in.

Currently the bricks above the door are semi-resting on a 2x6 - some are not even touching the 2x6, but others seem to be starting to sag.

I'm not confident of the ability of the 2x6 to hold the load over the long term.

If I leave the 2x6 as is and just back fill with mortar, will that be enough?

Old 11-06-07, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
In short? No.

Being a window installer (not a bricklayer) take this advice for what it's worth.

I order to properly support the brick, you'd need to bolt a lentil to the header. To do that, you'd need to remove about 2 courses of bricks. The ledger would need to be installed at just the right height so that the bricks could be built back up and be tuck pointed in place.

If you remove 2 more courses of bricks and do all that work, I'm not sure what you gain. So perhaps it is a good idea to just cut out all the brick above the door. There is probably what? 24" of brick above the door? If you think the brick might get covered up someday, I wouldn't be too worried about the looks.

You'll probably want a standard #908 brickmould to trim the exterior perimeter of the door. It also wouldn't look bad with 5/4 x 4 Miratec or similar. Just something that a carpenter will be able to remove down the road (without disturbing the brick or siding) if he ever needs to get the door out.

Old 11-13-07, 10:57 AM
Q
Originally Posted by XSleeper
In short? No.

Being a window installer (not a bricklayer) take this advice for what it's worth.

I order to properly support the brick, you'd need to bolt a lentil to the header. To do that, you'd need to remove about 2 courses of bricks. The ledger would need to be installed at just the right height so that the bricks could be built back up and be tuck pointed in place.

If you remove 2 more courses of bricks and do all that work, I'm not sure what you gain. So perhaps it is a good idea to just cut out all the brick above the door. There is probably what? 24" of brick above the door? If you think the brick might get covered up someday, I wouldn't be too worried about the looks.

You'll probably want a standard #908 brickmould to trim the exterior perimeter of the door. It also wouldn't look bad with 5/4 x 4 Miratec or similar. Just something that a carpenter will be able to remove down the road (without disturbing the brick or siding) if he ever needs to get the door out.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured.

I told my door installer that we couldn't just cut the hole and put the door in, but he didn't want to listen. Heck, he doesn't live here, so why should he care if the brick falls down!

I do have somebody that can fabricate the lintel for me, but like you said, I don't know what I gain. I only have maybe 6 to 8 rows of brick above the door, so removing 2 rows would probably lead to rest of them coming down.

I guess I will look at removing the rest of the brick and trying to figure out how to fill in the gap as well as reflash around the siding (on 2nd level) and the rest of the brick on the 1st floor.

Probably also need to look into building a little awning over the doorway.

Truth be told, I've been considering sealing the brick and painting it anyways. It's such a poor quality (bad firing) and it gets sun for over half the day that I was hoping the sealing and painting would help prolong the life of the brick. Ripping it down and residing the house would be the best option, but not something that is in the budget at this time (last quote was $13k.....yikes!).

Thanks for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: