Install Radiant Heat Pipe in Concrete Floor

Old 07-12-07, 08:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install Radiant Heat Pipe in Concrete Floor

I'm planning a 400 Sq. Ft. addition, on grade, standard footing and stem wall with concrete slab floor. On the Colorado Front Range we have fairly decent winter seasons. The main dilemma now is planning installation of radiant heat pipe in the concrete floor. Some recommend laying the pipe on iron grid reinforcement within the slab. That would seem to make the pore difficult. I heard that in Europe the slab is pored (say a good 6 in.) then the pipe is placed on top with a second pore of about 2 in. of fine matrix concrete to cover the pipe. Anyone have recommendations on how to do this. Thanks - Bob

Old 07-13-07, 03:32 AM
P
There are different systems which require different methods of placement. Figure out what brand/type of system you're going to use and do it however the manufacturer recommends. In my opinion though, it would be easier to tie it to the wire mesh grid and pour it all at once instead of making two seperate pours. You're going to have to tie it down in the second pour anyway to keep it from floating up in the slab.
Unless the slab is easily accessible from a mixer truck, you're going to have to pump it, and the heavy pump hose will drag the piping around (and probably damage it) if it's not tied down. Likewise, the concrete coming out of a truck chute will knock it around as well if it's not tied down.

Pecos

Old 07-13-07, 01:31 PM
C
Yes, follow the instructions of the manufacturer.

I tied mine to the wire mesh. Pouring around the mesh and piping is no problem. The runs of tubing are not so close together to cause any problem. Make sure that the contractor understands not to damage the tubing and the consequences thereof. Mine laid planks over the tubing for the wheelbarrows to use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: