making a path w/pavers and not sure how to lay base

Old 07-13-07, 09:42 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am making a path from my driveway to my deck and i have pavers that i plan to use but not sure what i need to place under them..i will be digging up the lawn to place the pavers in but what goes under the pavers before i place them down?

Old 07-16-07, 07:29 AM
Hi:
We did a similar project, making patio and walkway, even few feets adding to the driveway.

What we did was that we put thick 'gravel' and 'few sand' for its base before putting all of those heavy-duty patio blocks and concrete blocks. We used a lot of bags of gravel that do not come cheap, btw.

However, if you want it permanent base, like professional job, ... then you may need to research more.

For us, even after frew years later, all of those 'home-made' project standing very strong, ... in other word, if you spend a lot of time and efforts, you can do as almost good as professional.

In my opinion through the experience, it depends on what you'd like to accomplish.

Old 07-20-07, 04:07 PM
D
well i was going to uses the gravel and then this gray mix of something that was on my patio...but how many inch of gravel do i need how deep should i dig?

Old 07-20-07, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

What kind of pavers - interlocking concrete or clay brick?

What is the "gray stuff"? - I would not use something just because it is around.

Concrete pavers are usually set in a 1" fine sand setting bed with edge restaints. Then, additional sand is vibrated along with the pavers to get a good stable walkway.

Dick

Old 07-21-07, 05:57 AM
Pea Gravel for stabilization

Hi:
At the time, 3 - 4 years ago when we built patio, walkway and additional space/widen to driveway, there was no popularity for interlocking blocks. Most folks in my neighborhood used heavy-duty blocks as we did. Then, we purchased a lot of heavy-duty concrete blocks, 8 x 16 x 4 from both H.D. and Lowe's.

Also, the place where we live consists mostly of 'hard-clayed' ground, like hard-rocked front-yard, particularly in the summer-time. For laying them on driveway, we used a lot of pea-gravel for its base, at least 1 inch thick due to weight of cars and truck. On Walkway along with Patio, we didn't use much pea-gravel because light-duty weight. But again, Patio is located right behind 'hilly/slope' where water running down on rainy days, then in most part of patio, we also put a lot of pea-gravel to stabilize. Also, by using pea-gravel, it's easy for us to lay heavy-duty blocks, each of which weight about 15 lbs, or so.

Since I never experienced interlocked blocks, then I have no idea how much gravel and sand needed.

So far so good for all project we did in the past. It was a lot of work, both day and evening, but it's well worth, ... self-satisfaction and accomplishment.

Good luck on your project.

Old 07-23-07, 11:47 AM
D
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
What kind of pavers - interlocking concrete or clay brick?

What is the "gray stuff"? - I would not use something just because it is around.

Concrete pavers are usually set in a 1" fine sand setting bed with edge restaints. Then, additional sand is vibrated along with the pavers to get a good stable walkway.

Dick
they are the clay type about 5lbs each the gray stuff was the stuff that was under them from where i took them from...they were atop my gararge for the patio that i am now installing trex so i have a ton of pavers to use for this path.

Old 07-23-07, 06:38 PM
F
We had something similar done and at the very bottom, before the sand or anything else, the landscapers used some type of material that blocks the weeds from growing up between the stones and pavers. It was a dark mesh type material and on the one spot we did a tiny path ourselves without it, I weed weekly-ugh. I would not do another thing without that cloth like barrier so I hope someone here know what it is and saves you the weekly weeding!

Old 07-24-07, 03:22 PM
D
so 1 inch of gravel than 1 inch of the gray stuff and than the pavers is ok?

Old 07-24-07, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Don't use any "gray stuff" just because you have it, don't know what it is or why you should use it.

The "gray stuff" could be portland cement, masonry cement, mortar mix, grout mix or concrete mix.

If you plan on using the clay pavers you have, lay them on compacted base and 1" of a sand setting bed. You not not need the "gray stuff".

Old 07-24-07, 06:42 PM
T
You do not need weed block either, since any weeds you get will come from above not from below (assuming normal correct installation).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: