sealing over old concrete after stain

Old 07-16-07, 08:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sealing over old concrete after stain

renovating an old downtown building, existing concrete floors have been sanded/stained/sealed but the sealer looks more like a waterproof product. I would like to seal the floors with something to A) protect them and B) fill in the pitted places and cracks which were sawed in the slab. Basically it's going to be a food establishment so I was wanting something which would allow me to mop it daily and not leave debris in the cracks.

thx

Old 07-17-07, 02:45 AM
P
Since it's already been sealed, your options are very limited. About the only thing to do now is to caulk the joints. You may have been able to use a high build clear epoxy coating before, but not over sealer. Using epoxy probably would have doubled whatever you paid for the floor.

Pecos

Old 02-07-08, 04:17 AM
to follow up...

I used Armor Seal two part epoxy from Sherwin Williams and the floor is beautiful. Very easy to apply also (but not cheap). Only issue is I have some scar marks after people moving tables, machinery, etc.

Any recommendations on how to polish these out without applying a new coat?

Old 02-07-08, 10:33 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
food grade mtls,,,

are an entirely different story,,, doubt you can buy 'em at h/dlowe'sacehdwe but i could be wrong,,, prep's the KEY for 'em, too!

hal, didn't you apply wax over your epoxy ?,,, ncl's 1 is great,,, coats of wax're sacrificial & nec.

Old 02-09-08, 06:33 AM
Can you tell me what the best wax would be to hold up under nightly mopping and not turn cloudy?

Old 02-10-08, 06:22 AM
S
ncl 1

sorry i didn't make that more clear.

Old 02-10-08, 06:25 AM
S
was this a diy project ?,,, we'd normally apply a urethane coating over epoxy altho some think this is not nec,,, pecos' right & he & i usually agree on methods/mtls,,, no wax nec w/urethanes,,, since this is a food prep area, you did run the coating 4" up the walls, right ?,,, that's usually a code rqmt.

Old 02-10-08, 06:31 AM
yes, it was a DIY project. I used the Sherwin William Armor Seal over the stain. tThe floor is 102 years old and the building is a coffee shop/restaurant. Floor looks great but I need to keep it that way.

BTW - ncl 1 is an acronym? I can't seem to google it properly...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: