Drilling Holes in Brick

Old 07-18-07, 09:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Drilling Holes in Brick

I bought some masonry drill bits to drill some holes into my outside brick wall to mount a flange. The drilling is taking a considerable amount of time to complete. I am using a Black & Decker electric drill witha 4.5 amp motor and a max of 1350 rpms. Is that enough to drill into brick or do I need a stronger drill?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-07, 03:50 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Brick is generally not a very hard material to drill into. What size hole are you drilling?

Old 07-19-07, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
What you need is a hammer drill.
Brick is usually pretty easy to drill but when using a standard drill all it takes is a very tiny piece of stone in the brick to stop the bit from advancing.
A hammer drill breaks up these tiny pieces of stone.

Old 07-19-07, 05:19 AM
T
I'm using a 3/16" size carbide tipped masonry bit. I've drilled 4 holes. I'm trying to put a 1" inch screw into each hole. So far I've only managed to drill about 1/4" of an inch into each hole after about 30 minutes of drilling.

Old 07-19-07, 05:52 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You probably burned the carbide tip off the bit. As GregH said a hammer drill is the way to go. Since you don't have one and assuming you've hit a piece of stone, try pounding an awl or punch in the 1/4" deep hole to try to fracture the stone and then drill again. Remember that you probably need a new bit.

Old 07-19-07, 05:56 AM
T
Thanks for the info gentlemen!! I'll give that a try.

Old 07-19-07, 03:45 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
DeWalt makes a line of Bits called "Rock Carbide" (I believe). Those in conjunction with a hammer drill will make it seem like you are going though Butter. The bits are not cheap (neither is the drill), but they won't burn out either.

You may want to consider using a longer screw. A 1" screw minus the depth of material fastened doesn't leave much screw in the brick for grip. Also, if the screw does not bite well, wittle a small sliver of wood and stick it in the hole inside the brick prior to putting in your screws. The wood will act to tighten up the hole and give your a good grip. If you are doing this outside, use Pressure Treated wood to make your inserts.