Free Standing Deck

Old 07-20-07, 06:16 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Free Standing Deck

I am trying to find out if a free standing deck would require a permit. A neighbor put in a free standing gabazo on blocks and no permit was required. We will be putting the supports into concrete. We live in Lake County, IL and I have tried finding building codes on line -- does anyone know where to look

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-07, 11:04 AM
Hi:
You can call Couty Office which handling permit and other related issues, even though neighbor's didn't need it. Sometimes, size and other requrements make things difference. Larger bldg. you plan, more requirement they/County might enforce.

In my opinion through the experience, it's VERY prudent to find out whether you need permit before any construction and building started. Because, in the past, due to negligence NOT pulling permit, we got a big problem on which we needed to tear down one of sheds which we thought no need for permit due to its small-sized. In the end, however it turned out to be good because we constructed a very nice shed ordered from H.D. with permit.

Old 07-20-07, 11:47 AM
Free Standing Deck

Pine cone is right about finding out if a permit is required.

If you are lucky they will even have a hand-out on deck construction to avoid any problems. The availability of this information is because of the number of requests and deck built.

A good idea to go with free standing instead of the facing the problems with a ledger.

Put your supports (posts I assume) on top of the concrete piers and use an embedded bracket for maximum life, durability and easier construction. Do not embed the posts in the concrete.