Self leveling concrete in garage

Old 07-26-07, 07:32 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Self leveling concrete in garage

Just bought a house and fixed garage floor yesterday with previous owner using self leveling cement (which he supplied). The previous owner is a tradeís man and I trusted he knew what he was doing. Only after I was finished did I read one of the bags and found out this stuff is only intended to be used as an underpayment for wood floors or ceramics etc. It states it is not intended to be a "Wear Surface". I freaked!!!

I was always intending to paint it with 2 coats of an oil based concrete floor paint. The previous owner says the oil paint will seal it and become the wear surface. He thinks that it will be fine. Being a worrier, I am now wondering if I have to resurface the whole thing again using a harder concrete re-surfacing product to make floor surface harder before painting. Maybe 1/2 inch layer.

The garage is primarily going to be used for storage and a little workshop for odd household project. I suspect I will never bring my car into it.

So do I resurface (a lot of work and about $250 in material) or do you think just painting will be ok. Has anyone used this product in a garage.

Please help.... cause I am freaking out!!!

Old 07-26-07, 01:51 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That stuff sets up pretty darn hard, like concrete! If its just going to be storage and a workshop, I kinda doubt you're going to wear it out or break it up with use.

Old 07-27-07, 05:35 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is oil based paint the best way to go. I was sure that was the best until I got this feedback on another forum.

Quote #1

I take it that this garage is not heated, therefore I would use a garage floor latex based enamel because they expand and contract better.

Quote #2

Use a latex paint specially formulated for concrete floors as there is a tendency for moisture to migrate up from the subgrade through the concrete at certain times of the year. This would likely cause some of the oil paint to peel and bubble up.

End of quotes.

My garage is attached to the house and I will heat it to about 10C (that's 50 F) in winter. So do I go with oil based or latex??????

Old 07-30-07, 08:44 PM
Q
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Self leveling concrete ?????

Who makes up these silly names? There is no concrete that self levels, unless it is a slurry, which should not be used because the strength of concrete is greatly reduced when too much water is added to turn it into a slurry. Slurry is only used when workers cannot level it or tamp it for some reason.

Sounds to me like he used thinset, normally used to set ceramic tiles. All that is is a mix of fine aggregate and a bonding agent (like cement). This type of mix would be fine for your garage floor because thinset is usually made with a high percentage of bonding agent to make it strong. You should be able to paint it if you like, but it doesn't need it.

Just don't call it self leveling concrete lol.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: