New driveway question

Old 07-27-07, 01:13 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New driveway question

I am in the process of getting estimates for a new driveway. Most companies quote to tear out the existing driveway and put down a new one. One local company has a different process. They use a big stamper machine to push down my existing driveway. Then they put down a new layer of underlayment and put down the new driveway. So it is not like they are just repaving over my existing driveway - the new driveway is laid on a level base. This process keeps the cost down as they do not tear up and haul away my existing driveway.

Has anyone heard of this process before or done something similar? Is a true tear out and repave better than this? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Old 07-28-07, 08:27 AM
Hi:
It's a very interesting post to me, because there is some deteriotion some part of our driveway due to its age, about 30 years' old, that the previous owner built. It's holding OK up to present, however we're thinking of making a complete new driveway down the road.

I never heard regarding the question about which you're inquiring, except tearing it down and re-doing the driveway.

However, in order to modify the driveway, you may need to pull 'permit,' because there might need some requirements, either tear it down or repaiving over the existing driveway. Also, from Permit-office, if you're lucky, you can get more clear picture which method is right for re-doing the driveway.

Old 07-30-07, 07:34 PM
Q
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Push down the existing driveway??????

Sounds ridiculous to this civil engineer!

First of all, you can't just push down (compact I assume) at will. The soil, no matter what type, only compacts so much. If your driveway is old it has already compacted to a high compaction level with the snow load, rain, traffic, etc. and any further compaction would require so much force that it would damage your foundation or any structures close to it, and even then it would compact minimally.

Sounds to me like some fast talking contractor who is going to give you a skin coat of dense grade asphalt (very fine granular particles) that will not last, on the pretense that they are going to make room depth wise for a new 2" layer of asphalt (the minimum it should be).

My advice is don't deal with this contractor. Hire one that will do a good job. See my other post on same topic.

Old 08-06-07, 01:25 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
quickcurrent - thanks for your post. The quote from this contractor did say it would include 2" of asphalt, though I wonder if that would have been true across the whole driveway. I have decided to go the convential route and have my existing driveway torn up and a new one laid down. I figure it is worth it to pay a bit more to know I will have a driveway that will last.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: