Lamp Standard Footing Where Tree Used To Be

Old 07-29-07, 07:47 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question Lamp Standard Footing Where Tree Used To Be

I live in an area where the soil is Bentonite. Harder than concrete when dry and like quicksand when wet. I had to remove a tree a few days ago. The tree was in the lawn next to the driveway and I would like to install a lamp post in place of the tree. I'll have to pour a concrete base upon which to mount the lamp.

I still need to remove the stump (when the 100+ temps go away!) I'll have to sink it below the frost line (about 2 feet down).

I am afraid that after the lamp is installed, soil shifting will bring it out of plumb. How can I best prevent that?? (I live on a slight hill.)

Not sure how long to wait until the soil compacts before pouring the base. Maybe next Spring it will have compacted enough?

Not sure how large to make the base.2 square feet? 3 square feet?? How thick? I thought I'd also use a center "tap root" going down 24" for more stability. Thoughts?

I'll be using the area around the base as a planter, and it will be watered by the lawn sprinklers. Or is that a bad idea??

Old 07-29-07, 02:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just excavate the loose soil, refilling and compacting in 4 = 6 inch layers are you go to stabilize the soil. No need to wait for nature to do this, however long that might take.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: