Pour a concrete patio

Old 07-30-07, 07:21 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Pour a concrete patio

I am planning on pouring a 12' X 16' concrete patio this weekend. The patio will be against the foundation of the house on two sides (it will be poured against a corner). I need some information on how to level the concrete since I will not be able to use a 2x4 by sawing it back and forth. How do I level the concrete against the corner of the house. When I build the forms to hold the concrete, I am only going to use (2) 2X6's, because the other two sides of the patio will be against the house foundation with expansion joints. I need to figure out how to get the concrete level with a 1/4" per foot slope. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-07, 08:09 AM
T
Use the expansion joints against the house as screeds. Be sure it slopes away from the house, and it would be smart to cover the walls with paper or poly.

Old 07-30-07, 04:04 PM
P
You could use the expansion joint material as a runner for your 2x4 screed as T-Scar suggested, but since it's only 1/2 inch thick it could be a pain. A pro will use his hand float and smooth out the concrete along the expansion joint. Then he'll use the smoothed off area (wet streak) as a guide to screed off of. One man can hold an end of the 2x4 and run it on the 2x6 form, while the other guy runs his end along the wet streak. The guy on the inside has to drag the 2x4 along the wet streak, being careful to hold it up and let it glide just on top of the wet streak, not digging in. The bullfloat will take out any small humps you may leave. Good luck.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: