attaching wood door framing to cinder block

Old 08-02-07, 02:43 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
attaching wood door framing to cinder block

I'm building double swinging barn style doors into a 6'11" W x 7'3" H raw opening in cinder block. The doors will be made of 1X6 T&G cedar sandwiched between 1x4 cedar rails fastened with SS carriage bolts and SS nails in a Z pattern. The opening will be framed with 1x8 rough cedar. Each door will be approx 40"w x 85"h.

One framing member from a prior door remained on one side. It was fastened into place with 3 - 5/8" threaded metal pieces, a large washer and a nut. the threaded metal anchors (?) appear to be cemented?, glued? into the mortar between the block. There are no anchors on the other side

I have 2 questions.

1. How to attach similar anchors to the opposite side of the doorway... exactly, step by tiny step ... as I have never worked with cinder block before. I have threaded bar in the same diameter and thread pattern that I will have to cut to length.

1. What is the best way to attach the hinges to the door frame so they won't pull out from the weight of the doors? I 'm concerned attaching only to 2x8 wood frame isn't good enough. I'd prefer to use a strap hinge because they fit the style of door and maybe a heavy duty piano hinge with large flanges would distribute the weight better... if such a hinge can be found. Help! LOL :-)

At least one of the doors must open 180 degrees outward as there is a 5'2" deep dock with a 4.5' drop off in front of the doorway. The lawn tractor has to turn a sharp left and drive along the cement to the grass. (It's an old machine shop built in 1938 by the original owners)

Sorry for the length. Concerned you all would need to see the whole picture to give the right advice, insight, tips and tricks.

Thank you all again for your time and expertise. :-)

Warmly Yours,
Tallrose

Old 08-02-07, 07:18 PM
T
Red face much shorter version

The original message is my first post anywhere.

So let's try one question at a time and keep it short, eh? :-)

Need to know how to anchor threaded rod into cinder block to hold cedar 1x8. I'm framing a doorway and building double swinging barn doors..

Remains of old 1x8 is fastened to block with 5/8" threaded rod embedded in the mortar between the cinder blocks with what appears to be cement. The Anchored rod is still usable. The building was built in 1938 and no one has used it since the man passed in 1963. So it seems a good way to do it.

Any one know how this might have been done?
Or another way that will last and take the stress of the doors opening and closing?

Thanks.

Warmly Yours,
tallrose

Old 08-02-07, 07:23 PM
T
Assuming that the cells of the block are grouted at the jambs, you should use 2x6 or 2x8 to frame the door and countersink expansion anchors spaced about 16" O.C., staggered left to right. That is how I would do it, anyway.

Old 08-02-07, 08:22 PM
T
grouted at the jambs?

Originally Posted by Tscarborough
Assuming that the cells of the block are grouted at the jambs, you should use 2x6 or 2x8 to frame the door and countersink expansion anchors spaced about 16" O.C., staggered left to right. That is how I would do it, anyway.
Thanks for the reply. :-)

I'm using 2x8 cedar. the 1x8 was a typo. I've never worked with cinder blocks before. I'm assuming an expansion anchor is the cement wall version of a molly bolt, yes? no?

Also don't know what you mean by "grouted at the jambs"? Do you mean the blocks are filled at the jambs so they are not hollow? I have to get a masonry bit and drill into it to find out. I'll do that tomorrow and post my findings.

Thank you.
tallrose

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: