Split faced block courtyard wall

Old 08-08-07, 07:01 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm considering building a long 4' high courtyard wall and I'm wondering if it is feasible to use split faced concrete block with concrete adhesive (e.g. Liquid Nails landscape block adhesive) instead of mortar for the joints. I'd probably use a conventional poured footing and build the wall up from that. I prefer the look of thinner joints plus it seems like this would be less expensive.

Does anyone have experience with this type of construction for courtyard walls?

Thanks

Old 08-08-07, 07:11 PM
T
It is not a recommended practice. CMU are structural units and the dimensional tolerance is designed for a 3/8" joint. It creates all kinds of issues to use a different joint size, to say nothing of the use of adhesives in a four foot wall. Not a good idea.

Old 08-08-07, 07:19 PM
H
If it were me, and I did, I would dry stack concrete block and use surface bonding cement to cover the face.

Very strong and a great look, especially if you make a pattern with the cement.

Strongly suggest a 16"w X 12" deep footer and put rebar in every 4' and fill the cavity with concrete.

Home Depot carries the Surface Bonding Cement (at least here they do).

Very easy, very strong and a great finished look. To go a step further, cap with pavers in the shade of your choice and paint or stain the wall.

google "surface bonding cement" or "dry stack wall" and you'll probably find a bunch of useful info.

Good Luck

Old 08-08-07, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Using surface bonding would completely cover the split face you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: