How do I make a hole in cinder block skirting?

Old 09-06-07, 09:43 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I make a hole in cinder block skirting?

I need to make a new crawl space hole in the cinder blocks to get under my manufactured home. My cross over for my heating and cooling system has collasped and needs to be replaced, but the contractor says the existing crawl space is too small to do this (I agree, it was not put in very well and has PVC water pipes running accross it - too risky). The contractor can make the hole but it would cost a lot, so I'm hoping to do it.

So, can anyone suggest the best way to do this? There are only 3 rows of cinder blocks, so I think I can just knock out 2 blocks on the top and 2 on the bottom, but I will have to cut 2 in half in the center row. Any specific tools I should use for knocking out the blocks or cutting them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-07, 09:49 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Crawl Space Hole

Rent a masonry saw. You want smooth, straight edges so you can frame in a door when finished. Good luck with your project.

Old 09-06-07, 10:29 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Will the masonary saw cut all the way through the blocks, or just score them so I can break them off?

How should I get the blocks out that I don't have to cut? Is there a special tool to chip out the mortar?

Thanks

Old 09-06-07, 02:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 821 Upvotes on 720 Posts
IMO it would be a little difficult to use a masonary saw on a vertical surface, and it can't cut deeper than blade. I'd use a brick chisel and cut out the mortar and remove what block is needed. Removing whole block will leave a staggered joint - just score and break the block in half and remortar them back in. You may have to buy a couple block if the ones you remove are leader block. the corner blocks are easy to break in half.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: