Building doundation and low, poured retaining wall: EXPANSION QUESTION

Old 09-09-07, 07:53 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Building doundation and low, poured retaining wall: EXPANSION QUESTION

JOB:
This is for a job in central California, where temperatures are moderate (45 -75 F year-around). I am constructing a 3' high against a steep hillside. It is 1' thick on a 6-8" foundation 2' wide: the extra width is so hat the weep holes in the retaing wall will drain into a drainage swale at the front of the footing that is not beneath the wall itself. The wall will be sturdy; it will have 1/2" rebar, heavy guage mesh and fiber added (no crack) in the concrete (5,000 psi). Simply, it is NOT a masonry block wall (as current), but a poured retaing wall with the need for expansion joints.

QUESTION:
I want to build expansion joint into the wall and foundation BEFORE the pour. I do not want to backfill with calk. I would rather not use wood, I would like something more resistant to water. What specific product is suggested, and where to get it, etc.. Please descibe the process in building it into the concrete form, if it is not straight-forward. Should the foundation have expansion joints as well as the wall? If so, should the joints be staggered, centered or does it not matter?

Also, how long should the concrete of the reataining wall (not the foundation)cure before I pull the form? I want to wet the front for a slow cure to prevent cracking, but I do not want any crumbling before it sets-up.

Thanks much.

Last edited by buildit; 09-09-07 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-07, 10:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
foundation, footer, concrete, expansion joint

thanks for any input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: