How to sand concrete?

Old 09-13-07, 08:19 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to sand concrete?

My house has a poured concrete foundation which sits 4' above grade. The previous owner did some patch work on many cracks, but he did't do a very good job. I would like to sand it down so the surface is more even.

Is there a tool for this?

Thanks

Old 09-13-07, 08:51 AM
Q
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by leeym
My house has a poured concrete foundation which sits 4' above grade. The previous owner did some patch work on many cracks, but he did't do a very good job. I would like to sand it down so the surface is more even.

Is there a tool for this?

Thanks
Check your local rentall outlet for a concrete grinder.

Old 09-13-07, 02:23 PM
L
I looked at grinders at Home Depot.

I'm not sure how they could be used since the thin part of the grinder wheel which doesn't cover much surface area when it comes to sanding. Unless I'm able to use the flat circular part of it. But I don't think you can.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Old 09-15-07, 04:52 AM
P
Assuming you're talking about a carborundum (sp?) blade, you can use the flat part of the grinding wheel. This is the black colored blade which is a fiber disc impregnated with grit. Make sure you get the one for masonry and not for metal.
If you want to go expensive, you can buy a diamond tipped cup which will lay flatter against the surface, take the material off faster, and last a lot longer. However, you'd have to get this at a contractor's supply outlet, not a big box store.
Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL! This will create a LOT of dust and you should wear a mask or respirator to keep from inhaling it. You don't want to get silicosis. Also wear eye protection.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: