Drilling brick, cement etc......

Old 09-14-07, 12:19 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drilling brick, cement etc......

When drilling block, brick, cement etc...... Do you have to keep your bit cool with water or do you drill dry? I have to drill some holes in blocks. Any info or tips will help. Thanks

Old 09-15-07, 04:38 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drill it dry, no water is necessary.

Old 09-15-07, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I agree that you have to drill it dry but if you are not using a hammer drill the bit will overheat.
The impact from a hammer drill breaks up the tiny stones so they pulverize and fall away so there is much less friction than when using a regular drill.

Old 09-15-07, 04:56 AM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would suggest:

depends on what type of drill and bit you are using.
-------------------------------

I have used a simple 1/4 inch bit in a normal drill (when the only thing available on hand) where the speed did tend to overheat the bit and water helped.

There are much better ways to drill. Depending on what sizxe hole you are making would dictate which is best.

For typical holes up to about 1 to 1 1/2, I use a hammer drill and appropriate bit , not the screaming little impact drills. I hate them and they are not as efficient as a hammer drill but do serve the purpose when nothing else is available. Some of those impact drills go too fast for hard concrete or especially when running into a piece of the aggregate and a bit of water has helped from smoking the bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: