Sealing vertical joint to foundation.....

Old 09-15-07, 12:17 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealing vertical joint to foundation.....

My replacement Bilco (egress) door frame doesnt butt up against the foundation (mostly because it was installed post-siding). I used spray foam initially just to keep air out, but now I want to seal it correctly (and make it look halfway decent).

What can I use to seal this joint? Its a vertical joint so just anything wont do (or at least I dont know of anything that will). The space is about 1/2" from the foundation, so I figured some closed cell backer rod and then a sealant....not sure caulk would work well (or at least work well and look good). Would prefer paintable unless I can find a material in beige to match the door/house.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Old 09-15-07, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,946 Upvotes on 1,746 Posts
The backer rod and caulk might be the best option. I believe Lowes carries Vulkum in Limestone which would be a pretty close match in color to beige. You'd need to tool the caulking with a putty knife and some paint thinner until it's smooth. Wipe your putty knife off with a rag soaked in paint thinner, and tool it until you've achieved a nice flat apprearance. Masking off the areas you don't want to get caulking on (using masking tape) will help you keep those areas clean while you tool the caulk. Then once you've got it tooled flat, remove the tape.

If caulking can't be done, perhaps you could attach a thin strip of wood (such as lattice) to the door frame to cover that gap. Don't know if Bilco frames are aluminum or wood, so not sure if the additional trim is an option or not.

Old 09-16-07, 07:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

Didnt know Lowes carries Vulkem! I actually ordered a few "samples" from their parent company, and I couldnt believe that they shipped me actual full tubes. Needless to say I have plenty of it to try

Thanks for the paint thinner tip too.....never heard that one, and Ive tried to tool some pretty hefty caulk without success (OSI Quad) because it just stuck to everything.

The Bilco frames are actually steel.....didnt want to add wood because I figured eventually it would rot and Id need to replace it. Ill give the caulk thing a shot once I get some of the larger diameter backer rod.

Thanks again.

-Chris

Old 09-16-07, 09:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 851 Upvotes on 747 Posts
Providing you can lay a decent bead of caulk, you can also use an old natural bristle paint brush [wet with thinner] to smooth out the caulking - keeps your fingers clean

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: