help! removing 1 brick from wall

Old 09-16-07, 03:12 AM
help! removing 1 brick from wall

I would like to remove just one brick from a wall without damaging the brick and then replace the brick and put new mortar in.

Im assuming I have to remove the old mortar first and once the brick is out remove the mortar from both the brick and the hole the brick came out of, then I must somehow re apply the mortar to both the brick and hole and then re set the brick in the hole.

Can anyone give me some help on the best fastest easiest way to do this?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-07, 05:41 AM
nap
fastest?

easiest?

there is no fastest, easiest.

Unless you have some specialized tools, you simply peck away at the mortar with a very narrow brick chisel (small enough to go into the joint the depth of the mortar) until you can remove the brick.

Installing:

you butter every side that will touch another brick with mortar and slide the brick into place and when the mortar is set well enough, you tool the joint.

Old 09-16-07, 12:33 PM
are there specialized tools, cause if there are I will get them!

Old 09-16-07, 02:15 PM
nap
for one brick, I would not bother.

a side grinder to grind out the mortar is sometimes used when on big jobs or tuckpointing.

I woudl just use the chisel and hammer.

Old 09-16-07, 08:33 PM
I recently cut an 8" hole in my brick wall to install a through the wall fan. I think you'll find it easiest to do along the lines of what I did.

Take a drill with a concrete bit that's fairly small, say about 1/4 inch and drill lots of holes all around the brick through the mortar. It'll be a piece of cake. The more you drill the easier it'll be to remove the brick. I'd suggest about 1/4 inch apart. Then take a small chisel and hammer and finish removing the mortar.

My job took quite a while because I had to drill through bricks mostly, not that much through mortar. The drill bit will go through mortar like butter in the summer compared to bricks, so your job is relatively easy.

Finally, just clean off any old mortar left over on the bricks and then apply new mortar to the the brick, push it into place to replace it and finish off the joint around the brick to blend with the other bricks.

Good luck.