Chimney cracks

Old 09-16-07, 10:03 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chimney cracks

My chimney chase is comprised of decorator brick and the facing is coming off some of the bricks. There are also as many as 12 vertical cracks, a couple of which actually split a brick. The widest gap is about 1/8th inch, but most are smaller. The chimney is 14 feet high, 6 feet wide and 2 feet deep. Half of the height is anchored to the house and half is free standing. I had a new cap put on two years ago and it is still fine.

I am most concerned about the vertical cracking. The chimney guy I talked with said he would have to tear it down and completely rebuild everything at a cost of $ 5-6,000. This is a lot more than I want to spend. In addition, because of updates to the house I want to enclose the chimney in stucco. I have been told I can put stucco over the brick, but the cracks are likely to show up again.

Is there a way to pin the existing chimney so that the cracking is contained, and then add a stucco coating to improve the looks and cover up the pinning system? I am guessing this solution will cost less than $ 1500 which I am willing to spend

Thanks.

Old 09-16-07, 04:29 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What you want to spend and what needs to be done are not congruent. The expert you had look at the chimney in person would be the best person to give you advise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: