Exterior Spackling Compouind?

Old 09-21-07, 07:11 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Spackling Compouind?

I'm re-painting the masonry facade of a building. There was some peeling paint which I've scraped off and am now left with slight depressions where the old paint was. If I just paint over these, the depressions will show through the new paint and the finish will look awful. I need some sort of knife grade exterior spackling compound. I tried mortar, but it can't be knifed that thin. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Old 09-21-07, 09:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Would a thin layer of caulking work? I've used ext spackling on wood but never on stucco. I'm not overly fond of using spackling on the exterior as everything must be done correctly for it to last. I'd use a siliconized acrylic latex caulk - prime the stucco first.

Old 09-21-07, 09:36 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Spackle

Originally Posted by marksr
Welcome to the forums!

Would a thin layer of caulking work? I've used ext spackling on wood but never on stucco. I'm not overly fond of using spackling on the exterior as everything must be done correctly for it to last. I'd use a siliconized acrylic latex caulk - prime the stucco first.
That may be the ticket, but I'm hoping to get a response from someone who has used something for this exact application. Oddly, I called DAP and asked them (they have an acrylic caulk and an elastomeric caulk both supposedly for exterior use) and they said none of their products were designed for this use! The tech rep couldn't really be more specific. She told me to call USG (a competitor) which I did and they said none of their products are exterior rated. Go figure!

Old 09-21-07, 09:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
I've painted 100's of stucco houses, condo's,etc. and have often used caulking to fix minor cracks or voids. I don't remember ever using caulk on stucco to smooth the transission from scraped paint but I see no reason for it not to work.

If the stucco is dry and clean [priming gives a good surface] there shouldn't be any problems with adhesion. Using a wet putty knife or sponge along with carefull application should give good results.

Elastromeric paints are great for a finish coat over masonary. On stucco it does a great job of sealing minor leaks and often hides minor defects. Elastromeric paint does not goes as far as regular house or masonary paint.

Durabond like most setting type joint compounds is water resistant and I have used on the exterior in rare occasions but I would stop short of recomending it for stucco.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: