Block Retainer Wall Cost

Old 09-27-07, 01:32 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Block Retainer Wall Cost

I have 500 blocks for a retainer wall that Home Depot just delivered. The guy that was going to do the job is no longer in the picture. I got a quote from my landscape guy who will do it for $2500. That sounds like a lot of money since I already have the block. Does anyone know if this is a fair price?

Old 09-27-07, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Upvotes on 194 Posts
I don't know what a "fair" price would be, but $2500 seems a bit steep to me. Let's just say you can lay one block every 5 minutes (which I'm thinking would be PRETTY slow); that would be 12 blocks an hour or just over 40 hours, so theoretically it could be done at that rate of installation in five 8 hour days. I'm thinking $2500 for a weeks work would be a pretty price. Perhaps he's including prep work, backfilling, and landscaping?

How much was the original installer going to charge?

Old 09-27-07, 03:06 PM
T
It will take closer to 15 minutes for each block on the base, plus base prep, backfilling, etc. Are they Windsor stones? If so, you can lay 500 in a weekend, excepting the base course.

Old 09-27-07, 10:07 PM
A
Block reply

Thanks for the feedback. I never got a price quote from the first guy. He was suppose to be giving me a good price on the wall and also some landscaping because he had to change appointments quite a few times. Things were not working out with him so I hired a new landscape contractor. He said he could not do it for less. There is minimal if any backfill needed. I have a wooden wall that has been there for many years and is now falling apart.
I don't know if they are Windsor blocks or not. Home Depot had them on sale for a decent price. I was going to give it a go myself but thought I might have a problem getting the base row in. It's a 60 ft long, but not straight run, 18" high on one end and 24" on the other and.

Old 09-28-07, 07:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Upvotes on 194 Posts
Best bet would be to get two or three more estimates and you'll know if your guy was way off or not. I think I would want to see a like item already done (reference) to verify the quality of workmanship.

Old 09-28-07, 09:57 AM
Hi:
One of my neighbors did 'retaining wall' just recently.

According to the neighbor, it's VERY expensive to complete it. About $8,000 for 4 ft. x 30 ft.(estimate). that included everything, materials and labor. They hired professionals, 3 guys who spent about one week digging and shavelling in order to make the things right beforehand. The neighbor's backyard is hard-clayed , crooked, bumpy at some point and not level at all.

I live in one of biggest cities, then there might be price augument for it to do. As suggested the above, I agree you should call at least three landscaping cos. before making a final decision. Some of landscaping co. may offer 'free' estimate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: