chimney pot instead of huge brick chimney?

Old 10-07-07, 07:55 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
chimney pot instead of huge brick chimney?

hi,

i have a 1888 house that has a brick chimney. the previous owner had it "repaired" by putting a coat of stucco on top (without any metal lathe) a couple of years later, it is just chipping and falling off. i have pics posted at: http://www.2twins.net/chimney.html

several people have said knock it down and start again - but one thing i forgot to mention is that it is a non-used fireplace. it is only used to vent the oil burner. that said, could i take down 3/4 of the top of the chimney and then install a chimney pot over the vent liner??

any ideas? thanks so much for any info!
amy

Old 11-09-07, 10:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are a couple of options available to you, as I see it.

A) knock it down to the roofline, and just have a clay chimney pot instead. This is likely to be the more expensive option, depending on the contractors expertise. Not to mention messy and time consuming.

B) Have the current chimney re-tuckpointed, fixing in some new mortar where there's been loss, and then re-plastering the chimney with a good 1/2 inch coating (lath isn't needed on brick when done right). Chimney sweeps usually offer these services, and would most likely be faster and cheaper than a knock-down and re-build.
Especially considering the chimney is only used for a oil burner vent.

That's my take, for what it's worth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: