Mortar on outside brick

Old 10-09-07, 12:12 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mortar on outside brick

Hi All,

I've been searching the posts for some days now, but haven't found anything that quite answers my question. My brick house was built in 1943 and the original mortar is missing in some places. I'm sure it doesn't pose a problem as far as the structure goes, but I have found wasps building their nests in there as well. I'm wondering if there is a way to build up the mortar again and will it stick to the old mortar? It isn't colored mortar, so it should be easy to match. And what is the best mortar to use for an exterior surface?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by WannaBDIY; 10-09-07 at 12:16 PM. Reason: forgot part
Old 10-09-07, 12:42 PM
T
Old 10-09-07, 08:14 PM
H
the activity is named "pointing" which is re-mortaring brick joints.

Googleing "pointing brickwork" should yield a lot of advice.

Old 10-09-07, 08:24 PM
H
Just thought I'd also mention, if you don't have massive pointing to do, or maybe even if you do, I really like the products that come in a tube that you can squeeze out in a very controlled flow. It comes in a lot of colors from red, brown, grey, white so matching shouldn't be a big issue.

Get a "pointing trowl" from your home center or some cheap gloves and use your finger (my prefered method). Take your time and keep some water and a rag handy in case you get a bit sloppy and coat the brick a bit.

If you get some mortar on the brick a bit too much for your aesthetic pleasure, either some sandpaper or a cheap sandblaster will restore it.

Old 10-09-07, 08:31 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sorry, that poster simply supplied a search link. So many questions have been asked over and over and some tire of anwering the same questions over and over, especially forf for poster who do not search the website. Go to the link provided and explore the posts and learn how to use the search engines. Your problem tends to be common and there have been many post for repair and repointing mortar joints. Take advantage of our search engine.

Old 10-10-07, 03:45 PM
M
First off the mortar night be a little hard to match due to weathering. Take a sample to a masonry store and see if regular or light mortar matches the best. After cleaning the brick joints out good you are now ready to begin tuckpointing. You will need a pointing trowel to hold the mortar, a tuck point 1/4" to slide the motar back into the joint. and after the mortar sets up a bit a jointer to stick the joint unless the joints are recessed you will need a raker. A masonry store will be able to help up. There is also a mortar bag in which you put the mortar in and squeeze it out into the joint like a frosting bag.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: