what determines if foundation can support a second story

Old 10-09-07, 02:27 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

is it the footing or the foundation walls, or both? My home was built in 1930 there is a footing and the walls are hollow cynderblocks. how do i tell if i can add a second story?

Old 10-09-07, 02:39 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you have poured footings, then perhaps you can add a second story. The wider the footings, the better. Other things come into play, such as the framing of the house. It is recommended that you hire a structural engineer to determine if it is possible to add a second floor.

Read more:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/seconflooradditions

Old 10-09-07, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

The block should be able to support a second story.

If your first floor can do it, the block can hold it since they are much stronger than the first floor framing.

You should get a profesional opinion (not a contractor) regarding the footing and the soil. If the soil is good you should not have a problem, but it must be verified before staring design and construction.

It may take some hand auger soil samples or a drven rod to measure the soil capacity.

Dick

Old 10-09-07, 08:10 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
twelvepole hit it right.

Your footings are typically 18" deep in a no-freeze area like ours in Florida.

You'll need a structural engineer anyway to "sign off" on your plans for a building permit, and considering the insurance, liability and peace of mind issues, do it the right albeit perhaps a bit more expensive way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: