HELP! I Really Blew It and the War Dept. Is Furious!!

Old 10-11-07, 11:17 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
HELP! I Really Blew It and the War Dept. Is Furious!!

Yesterday I put 3 coats of sealer on my colored concrete walkway. In the process, sealer got on the adjacent uncolored driveway making it much darker than the rest of it.

The Old Lady blew her stack when she got home and told me in no uncertain terms to remove the overspray from the driveway "...if you have to lick it off!!"

I've tried wire-brushing it (ha ha ha), heating it with propane (just made it worse), rubbing it with Xylene (no go) and all combinations of the above to no avail.

The worst part is, the damage is exactly where she gets out of the car to go into the house.

How can I remove or at least lighten the sealer?

The product is Dayton Superior Chem Aggre Gloss (J-25).

Old 10-11-07, 11:32 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Get some paint stripper at Lowes, HD , etc. The directions will be on the can/bottle. It will remove acrylic sealer.
I would also be concerned about applying too much sealer on your walk. 3 coats is extreme overkill and could actually cause a multitude of problems. Many acrylic sealers are supposed to be vapor permeable, which means that water vapor from the underside can escape through the surface and evaporate. Putting such a high build on top will make it non-permeable and the vapor will be trapped between the concrete and the underside of the sealer. It will make your sealer turn white and cloudy.
I hope for your sake that you used a non-skid additive (such as H&C Shark Grip, available at SHERWIN-WILLIAMS) in your final sealer coat. If you did not, with 3 coats of sealer your walk will be like an ice rink when wet. If your wife slips and falls, you'll never hear the end of it. Worse yet, if someone else falls on it, it could turn into a big lawsuit. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 10-11-07, 12:21 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well, at least I did something right, I added the Shark Grip to the last coat. The guy at the concrete store led me to believe that "more is better". Never mentioned that it is supposed to be semipermeable... As it turns out, I did a poor job and applied so much that the astronauts could see it from the spacelab. If only life had a Rewind button...

I'll head on down to Lowes - thanks for the help Mr. Pecos.

Dummy in Colorado

Last edited by Pipsisiwah; 10-11-07 at 12:23 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-11-07, 12:27 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's not a guarantee that your sealer will whiten. Maybe it will be fine. I'm glad you used the Shark Grip. Have you gotten the concrete wet to see if its slippery? Besides removing the overspray from the plain concrete, I'd wait to see what develops. Good luck.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: