Mortar Crack Repair for Limestone Veneer

Old 10-15-07, 08:51 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mortar Crack Repair for Limestone Veneer

Hello,

Our home has a limestone veneer. About once a year, driving rain against the front side of the house causes water to come in through the drywall above one of the windows. Apparently the veneer was installed poorly, since the water should be coming out the weep holes, not leaking into the interior behind the lentil.

I looked at the masonry in the region above the window and can see a few small (~1/8" wide) cracks in the mortar. I figured I would fill these cracks with mortar caulk, and then use a water repellent on the entire surface, to help keep the water out.

Two questions:

1. Is this a reasonable plan of attack (i.e. caulk the small cracks, put repellent on the whole surface?
2. Can someone recommend a good mortar caulk that is not grey? My mortar is more whitish than grey, but all the mortar/concrete caulks I have seen are in "standard grey".

Thanks,

Ed.

Old 10-16-07, 05:35 PM
T
The window is probably not flashed well. Your plan should help, if not work outright. A good sealant for those joints would be something like NP1 by Sonneborne. It is not sanded, but you can do so before it cures.

Old 10-17-07, 02:46 PM
E
Tscarborough,

I am in Austin as well. Can you recommend a place where this NP1 can be purchased?

Cheers,

Ed.

Old 10-17-07, 06:45 PM
T
I can. It is available at Reinforcing Steel Supply, Materials Products International, and CMC/Sheplers, among others.

Old 10-17-07, 09:30 PM
E
Many thanks for the info.

Ed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: