Efflorescence

Old 10-21-07, 03:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Efflorescence

I built a house last year and moved in September. We soon began having problems with efflorescence. The efflorescence appeared under the windows and below the porches. The problem essentially went away during the summer, but has now started again. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about how long it takes 'new building bloom' to dissipate and cleaning efflorescence. One earlier posting on this site said if it is not gone in a year it will not be over.

We did get the porches water sealed earlier in the summer so I was disappointed that the efflorescence has returned in that area. I somewhat expected it under the windows again because we did nothing there. We have talked to our builder about sealing around the windows but he is hesitant, but I am going to have to force his hand.

I am in the process of having a home inspector come to review the situation to determine if he thinks we have a moisture problem, or are just working through new building bloom.

How long should "new buidling bloom" last?
Is what I have described, sound like something that will resolve itself with time?
What about litigation? We are past our one-year "new home warranty period", but are considering litigation.

Thank You.

Old 10-21-07, 05:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Is this on painted masonary?

I've painted 100s of new masonary and all the ones that had efforescence problems were the ones painted [as an employee] with cheap paint. Never had a problem using quality paint and primer.

Old 10-22-07, 10:41 AM
T
As a rule, new construciton blush is caused by moisture in the wall from when it was built. Usually, this happens within a matter of months.

It sounds to me as if you have water penetration issues, since it appears under windows and decks. Make sure those areas are sealed after you clean it off and the problem should be resolved.

Old 10-22-07, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Efflorescence

Does your brick veneer have weeps near the bottom of the wall to let out any moisture in the space between the brick veneer and the back-up (wood frame or block)?

Dick

Old 10-24-07, 07:32 AM
C
Thank you for your responses.

I'm not sure about the weeps.

Let me ask this. Our builder did not 'seal' around the windows to where a seal/caulk is visiable. He says it is underneath. The home inspector is telling me it should definately be sealed.

Thoughts?

Thanks Again.

Old 10-24-07, 09:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 824 Upvotes on 722 Posts
While it is always good practice to caulk the window at the installing stage it should still be caulked to the brick. Every new brick home I've ever worked on, it was part of my job as a painter to caulk the window to the brick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: