Stucco Help

Old 11-04-07, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco Help

We are building a new home and they just completed the Stucco. I have a couple of questions. It is 3 coat stucco over OSB. I am an owner/builder.
1- They stucco'd right up to and even about 1/4 inch over the window frame (mercer vinyl windows). I thought there was supposed to be a small gap between the window frame and the stucco. Where there is stucco trim around the windows the trim is right up against the frame as well. It does not appear their is any kind or flashing or stucco stop around the frame.

2- They have mortar all over the windows and frames. I am afraid if i clean it and it is scratched, then it is my problem. Is it generally their responsibility to clean the windows and frames when they are done.

3- There are very rough edges in some of the corners, around windows, and where it meets the eves. Is this normal or am I just being to picky.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-07, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I'm a painter not a mason but.........

It is usually the painters job to caulk between the stucco and the window frame [after it's been cleaned]

Most of the masons I've worked behind grease up the window before applying stucco.

I often run into rough edges here and there while painting stucco. When neccesary I'll run/drag my putty knife over a rough edge to make it a little easier to paint neatly.

Usually these problems are fielded by the builder or GC but since you diyed that part your only real recourse is getting the subs to do fix what needs it. never give a sub the final check until all work is completed satisfactory.

Old 11-04-07, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
you've just listed,,,

the main reason to hire a builder,,, not knowing whether or not the subs're doing their work well & who's work is whose,,, know you've having a great adventure & saving $$$,,, good thing - might have to replace some windows now - get a saw & recreate some space for thermal breaks ( caulk ) - hope you didn't pay 'em the total & held back 25%.

' thought there was supposed to be a small gap between the window frame and the stucco ' - so why didn't you stop 'em ?,,, ' mortar all over the windows and frames ' - poor prep & workmanship - too late if they're gone.

' rough edges in some of the corners, around windows, and where it meets the eves ' - normal if you don't see it,,, 2nd-rate work if you caught it.

Old 11-04-07, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the replyies.
"thought there was supposed to be a small gap between the window frame and the stucco ' - so why didn't you stop 'em ?,,, " - Guess I just expected a proffesional to know his job. I was inspecting the job PRIOR to payment and realized the problem. I have held back closer to 40%. I already learned that lesson.

As I mentioned, I just wanted to make sure I was being "reasonable" and not overly picky.

This has been a real ADVENTURE to say the least. After a couple bad experiences with Contractors, I decided to do this project as owner builder. I know there are good contractors out there, but there are lots more bad ones. I have exoerienced the same with subs. Need to watch them like a hawk. They will prey one your inexperience.

Thanks Again !!