cracks in exterior stucco wall letting water into my house!

Old 11-07-07, 09:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool cracks in exterior stucco wall letting water into my house!

I'm living in a end of the row brick row home in philadelphia, and there is an area on the side wall of my house where the stucco is falling off. 95% of the wall seems in very good condition, but there is this one section where the stucco is just falling off. Last week we had a really hard rain, and I noticed that on the interior plaster water spots seemed to be developing. So I think the water is coming through where the stucco has cracked off. Is there anything I can do myself to temporarily help this situation? I'm very handy, but don't have much masonry experience. I don't have the money to have the whole side wall re-done with stucco - it is like a $5000 job, and I'm not sure that any other part needs it anyway. It doesn't have to be good looking - just keep the water out. Any ideas?

Old 11-07-07, 12:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
You shouldn't need to restucco the entire wall, just the area that is loose. The big box stores sell bags of stucco mix that you just add water to and trowel on.

IMO the best way to preserve stucco is with paint. Elastromeric paint over primed stucco does a great job of sealing minor leaks.

Old 11-07-07, 02:52 PM
J
great! thank you!

Old 11-13-07, 07:37 AM
R
I too have problems with cutting stucco and need to install flashing over patio

I would like to install flashing around my cement patio. Can I use a circular saw with a fine tooth blade or a cement cutting blade to cut into the stucco? I plan to follow the cement for a staight cut. Do you think it will work? I would like to use a rubber based product used to seal cracks in cement to hold the flashing in the cut. What do you think of this idea?
RCrab Billings Montanaaaaa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: