Concrete weights.

Old 11-09-07, 05:24 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete weights.

Hello,
Could do with some help if possible please.
I am thinking of making some training weights out of concrete to save cash. If I buy a 25kg bag of concrete mix will that mean it will make a weight of 25kg or does concrete get heavier or lighter when the water has been added and it has set? I have no idea

Also, if I made a weight that was about 3 inches thick, what would be the size roughly of the weight? Lets just say I made a sqaure shaped weight, what do you think the measurements would be, 12"x12" 14"X14" or a lot bigger? Ive tried to find this on the internet but can't figure it out.

One last thing, If I make the weight I will need a 2 inch hole in the middle so the plate can fit onto an olympic bar. Would it be better to drill a hole after the concrete has set and cured, or carve a hole into the mixture a few hours after I poured into the mould?
Amny help would me most appreciated. Thank you.

Old 11-09-07, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Concrete weights

Cured concrete will be heavier than the concrete mix. There are two reasons: 1. It will always contain some moisture and 2. it will be denser.

Assume concrete weighs 145 to 150 pounds per cunic foot.

Dick

Old 11-11-07, 08:48 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank you Concretemasonry.
Do you have any ideas about putting the hole in the middle?

Old 11-11-07, 01:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,268 Upvotes on 1,208 Posts
Save the work and just go to a couple garage sales and buy real stuff used instead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: