building a fake block foundation

Old 11-12-07, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
building a fake block foundation

im fixing up this double wide, and the lady wants me to build a permanent/fake foundation under it. this will not be supporting any weight whatsoever except for the foundation itself. i will be using blocks. the trailer will not be lowered onto the foundation.

my question:
is it still neccessary to dig out and pour a footer or could i just level the ground and lay the block... knowing that it will settle and crack after time and then re-mortar the cracks.

there must be a way to get out of digging that thing out and spending 600 bucks on concrete for a 1-3 foot block wall that doesnt support anything.

thanx,
-patrick

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-07, 03:51 AM
Have you checked into skirting that looks like block or stone? When I was in Florida last year, I saw a million different types/styles/colors. It would certainly be a lot less work.

Pecos

Old 11-13-07, 05:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I've installed block underpinning on several MHs. You need to have a footer!! It may not need to be as deep or wide as a normal footer [atleast in the S.E.] because it only has to support the block.

You may need to install some type of flashing to hide any gap between the top block and the MH siding.

Old 11-13-07, 12:33 PM
checked into several different kinds of skirting. from the cheap looking stone to the nice looking stuff. the price of the good looking stuff was goning to end up costing much more than the block with labor.

so what are we talkin about with the footer... 2 or 3" deep and only as wide as the 8" block?

thanx again,
-patrick

Old 11-13-07, 01:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
The size and depth of the footer may depend on where you live and the type of soil conditions. Around here you want to dig atleast 8" deep with the footer 12" wide and 4" thick for underpinning with block. If local regs require a permit and inspection for the footer you will have to use their specs.