Pricing Cement for a basement slab

Old 11-16-07, 07:36 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Pricing Cement for a basement slab

Can anyone help me to price the cost of putting a cement slab in my basement for a very old house (1879)? I calculate that I will need 9 Cubic feet to fill with cement. However, I am not sure how much this might cost. The area is too big for me to do pre-mix by myself.

I also have an unexpected dilema after I lifted the wood floor and saw that part of the dirt was moist. It had rained a few days ago so I am panicking on where the water table is for this property. So any ideas is greatly appreciate.

Old 11-16-07, 12:16 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Concrete Cost

What are the dimensions in feet(length and width)? How thick do you plan to make the slab?

Old 11-16-07, 08:20 PM
H
Nine cubic feet is approx. 27 yards (i think)
We're at about $85 a yard for 3000psi fibercrete. For something that small, don't really know the labor cost, although to handle the pour where I buy the concrete, the price for a slab was $.45 a sq ft.

if you have a water problem, put in a sump pump.

If the soil is damp at grade, I wouldn't worry too much. If it is damp in your basement, then I would dig down a for a few feet and see if there is standing water. If not, perhaps a sump pump isn't called for and you probably have a drainage issue.

Good luck

Old 11-16-07, 09:25 PM
Z
Talking Thank you for replies

I hope this is an outside drainage issue which we know we have to address when the weather is nicer. We did not expect to find dirt under the wooden floor.

We are trying to do this ourselves but if we have to hire a professional for the concrete we are not going to be able to afford it. Our next options we thought is to put down 6 mil vapor on the dirt and frame 2 x 4 over the vapor and put durock cement board over it and tile.

We don't know how long this would give us but we can handle doing it ourselves.

Old 11-16-07, 09:50 PM
Nine cubic feet is one third of a yard.
Do you mean 9 cubic yards?
How big is the area?

Old 11-17-07, 05:32 AM
P
First off, as everyone else has asked: What are the dimensions (20 x 40, etc.) of your basement? You are probably wrong saying it's 9 cubic feet, as that would be like a tiny closet. When we know the dimensions, we can tell you exactly how much concrete you'll need at 4 inches thick (standard). We'll also be able to advise on the cost and whether or not to buy ready mixed concrete (truck) or mix by hand (bags). It all costs differently.

Pecos

Old 11-17-07, 02:13 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Amount Needed?

You have calculated 9 cubic feet. This 1/3 of a cubic yard.
This amount of concrete would be enough to install a 4 inch thick slab 5.2 long and 5.2 feet wide. I doubt is this is what you want.

Give us the length and width of the area where the slab will be installed so we can help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: