HELP!! with retaining wall

Old 11-27-07, 03:43 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP!! with retaining wall

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I copied it from the patios forum.

I'm extending my patio which will include a 90 degree concrete covered corner in my backyard.....I was wanting to put a retaining wall about 2 - 4 ft high at 45 degrees across the corner to put in a fountain. My question is....can I build the retaining wall on the concrete patio without messing up the drainage off of the patio? or do I need to build the retaining wall and form the patio up around the wall? I'm absolutely new at this, just love the outdoors and trying to make a place for family and friends to gather.

Thanks in advance for any help....

Eric

Old 11-27-07, 07:29 PM
H
I did something similar.

Every 4' I put a small hole in the mortar with 1/4" tubing and made sure I had one at the lowest portion.

The term for it according to our engineer is "scupper".

Old 11-27-07, 08:28 PM
T
Your engineer is wrong. The correct term is "weephole". A "scupper" is used to allow water to escape from behind a parapet wall or from the deck of a boat, i.e. both ends of a scupper are exposed to open air, while a weephole is exposed to open air on one side only.

It would be better to toe the retaining wall in behind the slab, as most segmental retaining wall units use the buried portion of the wall as a primary structural component.

Old 11-27-07, 08:35 PM
F
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Being that I'm new at this. . . would it be possibly to just mortar the blocks to the existing slab for structural support? If so, would the weep holes be necessary at every joint from the bottom up or how often?

If absolutely necessary I can push getting the slab poured back, but I've been waiting forever for this guy to get back to me and he's finally ready to do the work (its kind-of a buddy deal). But I can't afford to do both right now....if I can go ahead and pour the slab, I'll be able to do the fountain in a couple of months....but if I go on with the fountain, I'll have to wait until my concrete buddy can get around to me again.

Old 11-27-07, 08:44 PM
T
Mortaring the blocks to the slab provides minimal to no shear resistance. If it was 18" high, no problem, but with a 2-4' high retaining wall, it will fail, weepholes or not. The weeps should be 12" to 18" on center, as the block allows.

Old 11-28-07, 01:00 PM
F
So basically what I'm understanding is that it is impossible to build a retaining wall on top of an existing slab?

Old 11-28-07, 07:12 PM
T
Anything is possible, the question is: is it feasible.

Old 12-03-07, 07:57 AM
K
not sure i understand the whole idea, but if you intend to build a 2-4' wall on the edge of a slab you will have to let the concrete contractor know so he can put in the footer to suppert the wall. also, if you use a contractor he should be able to pitch the drainage away from your wall so you may not need weep holes. j.m.o.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: