Help! Rock Fireplace

Old 11-27-07, 10:25 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Rock Fireplace

Please help! A friend of mine is tearing down an old house and has offered to give me the rose quartz rock from the 4 fireplaces..... but I have to remove the rocks. These are beautiful old large rose quartz rocks. From looking at the fireplaces, I think that mortar was put on the wall, then the rocks were stacked and then filled in with mortar(leaving a small portion of the rocks sticking out.) I would like to keep breakage to a minimum. What would be the best method to try to remove these rocks?

I have been told that this house was built in approximately 1932 so I am hoping that the mortar is crumbly.

Since I have never attempted anything like this before, any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 11-28-07, 09:27 AM
T
Start at the top and break out the first course. Once you can get behind it with a crow bar, you may be able to pry the stones off without breaking them. Be ready for a lot of hard work, regardless. Gloves, long pants/shirt, boots, and eye protection are a must.

Old 11-28-07, 09:49 PM
R
Smile

Thank you so much. I know this will be a lot of work, but I think it will be well worth the effort. I'll try that and let you know how it turns out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: