Clean splashed concrete off of exterior brick wall

Old 11-28-07, 05:57 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clean splashed concrete off of exterior brick wall

When my husband was pouring concrete to fix our basement wall he splashed it all over the bricks above. It has now hardened and I want to find out how to remove it without making a mess of the bricks. Can anyone help?

Old 11-28-07, 07:17 PM
T
If the concrete is thicker than 1/4", use a chisel and hammer to remove. When it is all 1/4" or less, there are acidic cleaners that will remove it without damaging the brick. They are hazardous and can cause damage to you, the brick, and the landscaping however, so follow all manufacturers recommendations and wear protection for your body, hands, and eyes in particular.

Old 11-29-07, 12:20 PM
R
I tried three mechanical methods to clean up concrete on brick

1) For big globs- Buy a cheap pneumatic impact hammer from Harbor Freight if you have an air compressor- sure saves wear and tear on your hands.. work at less than 90 deg to the brick face-otherwise you'll crack the brick. Once you knock off the big chunks, then

2) use a cheap 4 inch right angle grinder with a masonry grinding disk . Wear a respirator!!! I bouught my grinder at Northern Tool for $10.00. The grinding disks are ~ $2 ea.

3) rent a fairly high pressure washer that should clean up what's left.

Swimming pool (muriatic) acid or sulfuric acid (super drain opener)will dissolve the hazy concrete residue but be very careful with the stuff plus you'll have to use a neutralizer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: