insulating exterior basement walls

Old 12-06-07, 05:14 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
insulating exterior basement walls

hello folks,
as i mentioned in a previous post, i have poured a basement add on room to use as a storm shelter. i has a slab roof.
the room will not be used as a living space.
i do not plan on directly heating the space except for ambient heat from existing basement. any suggestions regarding exterior insulation before i backfill?

i am concerned about condensation.

Old 12-06-07, 03:02 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
yes, do it,,,

i like foam sheets but don't forget to protection board for 'em,,, no sense in puncturing the board when backfilling, is there ?

you're the guy w/the tornado/hurricane room, right ? ? ?

come to think of it, might do that in my basement,,, they're not unknown in atl, ga,,, & if we don't have 1, think of all the wine i could fit in there :-) sustenance for the duration, so to speak !

Old 12-10-07, 04:16 PM
S
yes, i'm the guy with the storm room.
the room will also provide a space not directly beneath my home for locating my agm battery system for my solar electric setup.
In the very unlikely event of a battery stack "meltdown", i did not want the batteries underneath living space.
back to the insulation issues, are you suggesting to use some sort of protection board outside of foam insulating board? does the blue foam board need protection from the backfill?
thanks

Old 12-11-07, 06:33 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
here's what we use,,,

http://www.sealantsandcoatings.com/f...Type=datasheet

all insulation needs protection incl the roll-on dampproofing asphaltic coatings.

btw, no financial interest in any product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: