Garage floor settling

Old 12-08-07, 12:58 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage floor settling

I have been in the house 20 years and the garage floor settled about 5 inches in one corner with resulting crack about 1/3 of total floor length the first two years we were in house. The consultants I have gotten want to tear up the floor and completely replace. Since it has not increased in 17 years is there a way to level the floor by using adhensive or mesh material and just pouring concrete to level low point to equal rest of floor?
Thanks,
Roger

Old 12-09-07, 11:17 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
2 other methods you can use,,,

mudjacking - the contractor'll core 2 or 3" holes into which he'll pump cement slurry & hydraulically raise the floor,,, the other's placing a bond'd overlay onto the floor using polymer-modified conc mix,,, imo, neither's for diy'ers UNLESS they've got extensive exp in conc repairs,,, & to do it right, you'll need granular, clean fill if replacing floor.

think you'd be best advised to follow consultants' advice,,, am curious what definition you use for consultant - engineer; contractor; neighbor's brother-in-law's mailman's cousin who had this work done; paid or free advice ? ? ?

Old 12-09-07, 11:17 AM
B
By any chance, is the settling confined mostly to the garage floor area closest the basement wall such as in the case of attaching a garage to a house with a basement? If so, does the garage foundation consist of a separate footing and several rows of blocks with the floor poured separately?

how about the garage walls and roof line, is that staying level and straight?

bs5 (with more questions than answers at this point.

Old 12-10-07, 09:59 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
i had that happen to my carport

5 pin piles, #5 rebar, 8 x 24" footers, and 6" pour later; it's now OK.
If the original slab moved down, what's to prevent an even heavier slab from moving???

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: