Propane stubout thru Brick Veneer.....Ugly Hole!?

Old 12-14-07, 08:21 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Propane stubout thru Brick Veneer.....Ugly Hole!?

New construction

A "concientious" contractor running black iron pipe for propane runs at my new house under construction..... stubbed pipe out thru the exterior wall he must have drilled all of the way from the inside to outside and blew a wad of brick. (I guess it would have taken too much time to measure outside and drag the extension cord to the exterior side and drill outside in).

I have drilled 4" hole in brick veneer with a masonry hole saw and a 40lb Bosch hammer drill with no chips in the brick....what the heck was this guy doing??!

How can this be cosmetically fixed? The blow out seems to big to cover with a plate or what ever would be used......

Also he told me the B.I.P. was better than the flexible sheathed gas line....is that true?

see 3rd picture......

Thanks for any advice. FF

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo4iz1/

Last edited by FairwayFatty; 12-14-07 at 08:28 PM. Reason: signature
Old 12-15-07, 07:02 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First thing is to tell the General Contractor you are not satisfied with the cosmetics of that hole through the brick.

Now the fix, it's not impossible to completely replace the brick with a much closer tolerance on that hole to pipe fit.

(easier yet)

the hole can be filled with mortar and plastered off flush to seal . Then trim rings are very easy to obtain for 1/2, 3/4, or 1" B.I.P.. I have purchased them on occasion myself. By all means, get one hung on that pipe stub before it gets connected to the meter so you do not have to get a rim ring out of two halves or hinged. Any good plumbing shop has those rings.....not a big deal.

Good luck

bs5

Old 12-15-07, 02:30 PM
F
Thanks for the reply BS,

I was at the site today and I was surprised to see the builder there. (He was picking up his trencher....not working on the house) I did speak with him about it....... we went around the house to look at it and said he had no idea the guy blew the brick out like that and he said he would cut out the 2 bricks and trim a brick to fit snug at the stub and re-mortar and replace the lower one too. I feel a lot better about new brick than trying to find a termination flange or cover big enough and would be an eye sore to me especially knowing how musch the brick costs.

Thanks. FF

Also I've got another question about brick but will post new topic........

Old 12-16-07, 04:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
poor craftsmanship

i've been a brick mason over twenty years and the top of you doors look like crap .should have sawed bricks to fit.i would never try to sell a customer something like that.suggest to your mason a saw can fix that or i would hold his final draw

Old 12-23-07, 06:11 PM
F
Thnks for the replies..............

I think the doors look like crap too....... I have been a toolroom machinist for 26 years and I'm detail oriented and shoddy S__t like this burns my A_s...... I could never get by with this type of workmanship in my line of work. Builder said they had to hold window or door and they held the window and the doors will have to be wrapped.

Other question on the stub out...... My builder (actually 2 partners) One of them siad they'd replace the brick that was blown out with the stub and now the other says the "regulator" will cover the area and you'll never see it.......

Do the propane regulators bolt to the wall? Are they big enough to cover this piehole made by the lazy HVAC tech.

Merr Christmas!.......FF

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: