Ideas on raising my shed floor please...

Old 12-28-07, 06:22 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Arrow Ideas on raising my shed floor please...

My 7 x 15 foot garden shed is sitting on a hybrid foundation. 10 feet are on a true mortared 8" perimeter block foundation, with patio blocks in sand for the floor. 5 feet are on a poured slab.
Originally there must have been a smaller shed and the slab was the cheapest way to extend the foundation to the present size.

Nevertheless, the shed is too low and needs to be raised so we can regrade the yard and fix some drainage issues.

I would like it to be up 6" - 8" without breaking the bank to do so. My thoughts were to run another course of 8" blocks around the whole foundation perimeter, then fill with 5" of crushed gravel and pour a 3" slab over it, to the top of the blocks. I'm concerned that since this is over two different foundation/floor types and that the block foundation has been cracked (I think from the neighbors tree) there may be trouble.

Any thoughts on this plan? Any better ideas?

Thanks guys.

Old 12-28-07, 11:47 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shed floor raised

It's dambed if you do and dambed if you don't. lol

Your plan sounds good, and add rebar on top of the gravel. You can also drill holes in the blocks to insert the rebar ends and add cement inside the block to cover the rebar.

Nobody can say for sure if you will get cracks in the cement later down the road.

Old 12-28-07, 12:04 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It might be worthwhile to get a couple of estimates to remove and replace the slab as you would like it.

Old 12-28-07, 12:08 PM
Ideas on raising my shed floor please...

Do not tie the new slab to the new block, existing block or the existing concrete. Just pour a floating slab inside your 8" block ring. The gravel base should be compacted but it will isolate your new slab from any differential movement of the old structure.

Do not use "cement" - use concrete!

Dick

Old 12-28-07, 10:15 PM
S
Is 3" OK or does it need to be thicker? Any special concrete mix like air entrained for our occasionally freezing NJ winters?

Thanks guys1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: