How to finish a rough garage floor

Old 01-01-08, 08:26 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to finish a rough garage floor

I'd like to appy a sealer or epoxy finish to my 20 yr old, 2 car garage floor. Unfortunately, the original finish is rough. It's somewhat course and sandy when swept. From previous posts, I know that prep is critical for an epoxy finish. Assuming the floor is cleaned and prepped, will the epoxy adhere to a rough finish?

Thanks.

Old 01-02-08, 05:29 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Assuming ALL loose material is cleaned off of it, the epoxy will adhere. However, it will probably not leave the floor smooth unless you apply multiple coats to get it built up in the low spots.

Pecos

Old 01-02-08, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
rough floor

Hi rich

If you are looking to have a nice smooth finish after the epoxy, you should have the concrete smoothed off. I can't tell you if its a DIY job or whether they rent the equipment, but I know it can be done. Last job I worked, they had crews come in to set new displays. They used some sort of wet grinder/sander that made the floors smooth as glass. Didn't take them that long, and they were doing probably 6-8 times more than you have.

Best in 08

Old 04-29-08, 12:25 PM
L
I have been prepping my basement room floor all winter and am almost ready to go. Menards has the Rustoleum kits on sale right now. The Garage kit is only $10 more per kit than the basement... I'm concerned because the basement one said it is also good on walls. I don't care about the walls! I have Watertite on those. I just wanna make sure that a chair or table skid isn't going to scrape. Would there be a decent benefit of using the Garage Kit in the basement?

I've air-chiseled and vinyl-patched all the cracks, and belt sanded them to get them smooth. (used all the old belts that way!) My only concern is that some of the cracks I filled obviously contain some moisture from below now, as there are some dark spots. I'm hoping if I run the dehumidifier enough that things will clear up, otherwise maybe a hairdryer or heat gun will at least kill that moisture until the epoxy has time to grab hold.

Any input would be appreciated, it's been a big job. Don't want to screw it up now.

Gina

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: