Cracked/Leaking Garage Floor/Ceiling Slab-HELP

Old 01-07-08, 01:06 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked/Leaking Garage Floor/Ceiling Slab-HELP

Can someone advise me as to what my options, and possible costs of a problem I have? I own a garrison colonial style house in Maine with a 2 car garage on the 1st floor, and a 2 car garage on the basement level in the rear of my house, underneath the 1st floor garage. The top slab is is pretty bad shape with very sloppy concrete patches that are beginning to break up. The slab leaked a little(very little) when I first bought the house 3 years ago, but it is getting worse. I am getting about 5 gallons a week now. I keep my yard machines down there, and their getting covered with brown, rusty water(I presume, from rusty rebar, or wire in the slab). Is there any hope for this slab? Can I patch/fill the craters in my floor with something that isn't concrete, and then try to seal it with some epoxy paint? Or do I have a jack-hammer in my near future? I have a difficult time keeping the floor dry in the winter because of the snow melting off the car, and I do clean off as much as possible before pulling into the garage. I'm sure that anything major will have to wait until spring, so I bought some tarps to cover my stuff in the lower garage. Please give some suggestions, as I am not very well versed at this kind of thing, but can follow directions, and want to do this the right way. Even if doing that will require hiring a professional for part of it. Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Harry

Old 01-08-08, 07:27 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This does not sound good especially when I hear the term, "Getting worse". Personally, I don't think you can improve upon the integrity of this concrete deck significantly without a major demo and rebuild. I believe you made reference to some of the workmanship that went into finishing the floor. If this concrete is not done in a fairly decent manner then one might become suspicious of the strength of the spanned concrete design and have some safety issues. This would trump any water leaks or cosmetic concerns. It's also worrisome to hear your description of craters as the concrete spanned deck seems to be deteriorating leading to a more destructive failure.

Having said all this, I think your best course of action is to consult some help by experienced professionals nearby for their views. Of course, I have not had the benefit of viewing the deterioration close up.

bs5

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: