Which Type of Driveway?

Old 01-13-08, 03:58 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which Type of Driveway?

I'd like to have a driveway installed along the side of my house this year, but I'm not sure which way to go: asphalt, poured concrete or brick pavers.

I've always liked the look of brick pavers, but I've heard that it's the most expensive option - is that true?

Also, which is the best for drainage? I have a slight rainwater management problem around the house, which I'm working on correcting, and I wouldn't want the new driveway to add to this problem.

Old 01-14-08, 03:59 AM
I would go with Concrete Pavers over asphalt, if a piece gets damaged or stained it can be replaced.

Old 01-14-08, 10:23 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
really depends on where,,,

you live,,, we can't expect much life outta asphalt down here in atl but conc works fine,,, up nawth, its blacktop - depending :-)

pavers aren't inexpensive but they can be install'd over the same base as all 3'd need,,, 4-6" of a grad'd aggregate base course.

asphalt/conc're the best for drainage as pavers will allow wtr penetration in the jnts,,, plan your grading & drainage ahead & you should be fine.

Old 01-25-08, 02:50 PM
L
Pavers are expensive, but sure do look nice. Quotes for my 962 sf project were around $12-14,000. Pavers on a gravel are also the least environmentally damaging of your three options since they will let some moisture filter down to the local watertable, rather than running off into the storm drains. If your water management issue is related to runoff, avoid slabs like concrete or asphalt. Especially avoid asphalt if you don't want to use petroleum-based projects.

I have decided to go with pervious concrete for my driveway (google it). It's specially mixed concrete that will hold together without the sand. This makes it porous, and gives it the look of a rubber running track, like at a high school. It can absorb something like 3 gallons of water per square foot, per minute. This means that essentially all of your rain water goes into the ground, and not run toward your house or pollute the local creeks and rivers.

There are commercial parking lots in Boston made with pervious concrete, so it is definitely able to stand up to weight and weather.

Old 01-25-08, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Which Type of Driveway?

If you have it done, pavers are probably the most expensive.

They can be a great DIY project since you can do it at your own pace and not have to face a concrete drive that has to be done in one day with extra help.

Pavers for a driveway should not be installed over concrete or asphalt. They should be installed over a compacted base and a 1" setting bed of sand.

If you have a water problem, make sure the drive is sloped gradually away from the house.

Pervious conscrete is a specialty concrete that is very good for the intended use. You do not need any more moisture atound your foundation, so I would not suggest that system.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: