pavers on concrete

Old 01-22-08, 11:48 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pavers on concrete

I have an aggregate concrete front steps/landing that we don't like. The landing is 5.5x12' and there are two steps. I want to surface the entire horizontal area and steps with thin pavers and then do something with the sides of the landing. Unfortunately, I don't have much space between the top of the landing and the bottom side of the treated board that supports the threshold, 1.25". Therefore, I would need to use 3/4 or 1" pavers.

The biggest problem is that I live in Minnesota with many freeze/thaw cycles per year. Either the space between/under the pavers must drain adequately or water must be prevented from getting below the surface. There are basically two methods to put pavers on concrete: 1)lay them on sand or 2) mortar them in place. In 1) the cracks are filled with masons sand or polymeric sand, which will keep out ants, weeds, etc. In 2), the joints are spaced and mortared as in installing brick.

1. Which method do you recommend for my application?
2. If 1) then how can I seal the outer ring of pavers on the landing while still allowing drainage. If 2) what mortar is the best for laying on the surface and also for between the pavers?
3. Where can I get thin brick products 3/4" or 1" inch thick?
4. Is there a product for the landing sides? We could go with a concrete stain or use thin set to lay in a thin brick or paver. These would have to be 1/4" or 1/2". Where can I get these?

Old 01-23-08, 03:49 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
why not just resurface,,,

'em w/polymer modified conc overlay ?

no change in elevations, permanent, attractive if you use the proper coloring agents, & you won't have to worry about wtr entering the grout/mortar where it'll freeze & lift your work off the existing conc,,, there's lots of guys who do this work in mn but its not out of a diy'ers capabilities.

Old 01-24-08, 11:03 AM
D
Do you mean stamped concrete? If so, I don't think it looks as good as pavers. And if/when it does crack, it's easily repairable. This is according to what I have read about it. I don't think the existing landing/steps are going to crack because of the aggregate. They are solid with no cracks. However, if the paver solution was a lot of trouble, I would go with the stamped concrete.

You said possible DIYs could do this. I do most of the work around the house myself and my wife is satisfied, so I might be able to do this. Do you know the techniques, tools, etc required and where could I get this?

Old 01-24-08, 08:23 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
stamp'd conc's another item,,,

trust me - you don't wanna get into that,,, if they aren't already crack'd, they probably won't,,, not because of the aggregate but, rather, someone who knew his trade built 'em,,,
decorative concrete forum's 1 place to look where some of us hang,,, elitecrete's another.

sure, i know a lot but i'm ignorant about much, too,,, tools're minimal - in your case, a mason's brush, 1/2" drill, 5gal bucket, some muriatic, ammonia - little stuff,,, why not look into it more ?,,, could be a whole new world opening up for/to you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: